“The most classical land of modern tuscany”
«The name territory or district of the Berardenga indicated, even in the times of the Sienese Republic, that portion of the state between the sources of the Bozzone and Ambra creeks, between the high Chianti and the Biena River down to the Taverne d’Arbia.
The most classical land of modern Tuscany; where the lands of three big cities entwine with one another; the bone of the first political and religious contention between two bishoprics and two republics; the theater of long and terrible wars fought in Chianti between Quercegrossa, Montalto della Berardenga and along the famous Montaperti fields; this is the region where the Arbia river flows and the Ombrone river has its birthplace and extension; finally it is in the Berardenga where the most venerable and prolific nursery of the great and powerful families of Siena, Orvieto, Chiusi, Florence and Arezzo established their legacies and homes. The legacy which gave the name to the Berardenga County, begins without any doubt from one Earl Wuinigi di Ranieri, who came to Italy from France, first in quality of legate of the emperor Lodovico (865 a.D.), and afterwards as political Governor of Siena (867-881 a. D.) and Roselle (868 a. D.).
The name of one of his children, Berardo, constantly repeated in the grandchildren and descendants, gave way to the name Berardenga: that part of the Siena Province, where the descendants of the first Earl of Siena had very extensive estates and castles with baronial jurisdiction; as well as many more acquired with purchases or other means by his descendants in the neighborhoods of Siena, Arezzo, Chiusi, Sovana and Roselle.»
(Emanuele Repetti, Historical Geographical Physical Dictionary of Tuscany, 1833)